Monday, March 7, 2011

Vegetable Crumble Casserole

Featured Ingredients: Diced Tomatoes and Vegetable Broth

This recipe comes courtesy of one of my clients. It has been in their family for a while and is one of their staples as the head of household is a vegetarian.  Since my client pointed this out to me when I met with her, I figured I would start my first meal with them, with something they know and love.  I did a test run in my own kitchen on Sunday with a variation on the root vegetables that they like. 

Loaded with heart healthy nuts and satisfying, hearty vegetables, this makes for a great side or filling main meal.  I brought the cookbook back today, so I'm doing this from memory.  This is from an English cookbook so the recipe is in oz and grams.  So get out your kitchen scale.

Vegetable Crumble Casserole - Fits an 8 X 11 baking dish

10 oz. whole wheat flour
3 oz. butter (enough to turn the whole wheat flour into a coarse meal)
4 oz. grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
salt & pepper

1 large onion
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 lbs. mixed root vegetables (carrots, parsnips, red potatoes, sweet potatoes.. - whatever you like)
olive oil as needed
salt and peper to taste
1 oz. whole wheat flour
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup milk
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp crushed fennel seed
(the herbs are my add)

Rub butter and flour together with your hands to make a coarse meal, then mix with cheddar, nuts, and seeds.


Chop vegetables in varying sizes, depending on how quickly the vegetables soften, so that they cook as evenly as possible.  Put the chopped vegetables in a bowl and toss with a little bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Over medium heat melt 2 tbsp butter in a large sautoir or skillet with high sides. Saute onion for about 5-8 minutes until soft.  Add vegetables and saute for 10 minutes.  Add flour, tomatoes, stock and milk. Stir and bring to a boil.  Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until "sauce" has thickened and vegetables are nearly tender.



Transfer to a baking dish and top with the crumb topping.  Press topping into the vegetables.

Bake at 375 for about a 1/2 hour until bubbly.


Vegetarian Crumble Casserole

No comments:

Post a Comment