Monday, December 6, 2010

Chocolate Chip Coconut Milk Muffins


Coconut Milk
 Featured Ingredient: Coconut Milk

I love baking to no end... in fact more than cooking savory dishes. My challenge was to come up with not only savory dishes, that can be created with canned goods but some sweet options.  My son, Teddy likes to eat chocolate mini muffins for snack almost every day (that we get from the store).  I figured this was a good opportunity to experiment as well as provide my son with a homemade but not too sweet snack!

I normally use sour cream or buttermilk as my "secret ingredient" for baking, so I thought coconut milk, with its creamy texture and percentage of fat might make a good substitute.  I would recommend adding banana or toasted coconut to the top to make this a more tropical treat, but my son is picky - so we went with straight chocolate chips.   I'd like to hear what you would add.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Milk Muffins - Yields 12 standard size muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter - room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup + 1 tbsp Coconut Milk
1 cup Ghiradelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray muffin tin cups with cooking spray
2. In a bowl sift flour, baking powder, and salt
3. With a hand or stand mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy
4. Add vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
5. Add 1/2 of flour mixture.  Beat until incorporated. Add remaining flour mixture alternately with Coconut   Milk. Do not overmix or muffins will be tough.
6. Fold in chocolate chips by hand with spatula
7. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full
8.  Bake for approximately 25 minutes.  Rotate pan half way through baking time.


Teddy gives these a two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment