Saturday, December 25, 2010

White Bean Salad

Navy Beans and Sliced Beets
Featured Ingredient: Goya Navy Beans, Del Monte Sliced Beets

Another Christmas has come and gone. I had promised some new uncanny goodies in my last post and I intend to deliver.

This one my mother used to call "Vinegretas." I'm sure it has many other names depending on the family, but to make life easier for the English speaking folks, let's just call it White Bean Salad.

This is a staple at my Christmas Eve Dinner. I serve it along with Breaded Filet of Lemon Sole. It is a my go-to side dish and would actually be good any time of year.  It is a healthy, hearty, filling salad with tender and toothsome textures and little bit of crunch.  The hard boiled eggs add creaminess to the dish.  If you are looking for a taste of no nonsense old country cuisine... this salad is for you.

White Bean Salad - Makes 4 Servings

1 15.5 oz can navy beans (or any small white bean) - drained and rinsed
1 8.25 oz. can sliced beets  - diced
1/2 cup diced dill pickle
1cup frozen peas and carrots (you can also substitute a can of these in a pinch)

1-2 hard boiled eggs finely chopped (depending how much egg you like)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1 to 2 tbsps olive oil for "Shine"

In a small bowl combine beans, diced beets and pickle.

My husband has one of those dicer tools and he goofs on how much better his "knife skills" are than mine. I prefer a more homemade look and I can achieve similar cut sizes without using the tool. The diced beets and pickles looked like shimmering jewels atop little bed of pearls (see below). And in nature, precious jewels don't come in uniform size.


White Bean Salad... In Progress

Hard boil eggs.  Put eggs in cold water and bring to a boil.  Reduce to rolling boil and boil 5 minutes.  Take eggs off heat and let sit in the hot water off the heat for 15-20 minutes. Remove eggs and run under cold water.  Peel eggs and finely chop

Boil the frozen peas and carrots until tender. Drain.

Add peas and carrots and eggs to bean mixutre. Toss salad.  Season with salt and pepper. 

Finish with 1 to 2 Tbsp Olive Oil.  Toss once more to coat.  The "shine" recommendation came from my grandmother as it gives the salad a nice glossy sheen.



The beets also give the salad a pretty pink tint, along with your fingers!












 











No comments:

Post a Comment