Sunday, December 26, 2010

Chocolate Pudding Cake

Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
Featured Ingredient: Hershey's Chocolate Syrup

Every Christmas Day for the last 15 years or so, we go to my in-laws for dinner.  Translation to my two kids: Round 3 of Christmas Presents.

Each year I am in charge of dessert. Usually more than one. And each year, I bring something different. The ironic thing is I always seem to try out recipes for the first time for this task. Since I hadn't made this cake before, I was very intrigued by the recipe's chemistry.  I was surprised for a cake recipe that it didn't call for eggs.  I've heard of no flour, but no eggs?  I guess if you put in eggs, it would set the pudding? I even went online to find another recipe as I thought it was a print error. 

The method didn't seem logical. You pour the batter into the pan and dump chocolate syrup mixed with hot water over the top, which sits like a pool. But somehow the watered down syrup seeps into the batter, and transforms into a luscious pudding under a moist cake like brownie. I might just have to have some right now.

This recipe is from an old cookbook that is collection of recipes from Family Circle, that in fact was a gift from my mother-in-law. The recipe is for an 8 X 8 pan.  Double it for a 9 X 13. Lining the bottom of your oven with foil is also not a bad idea as the pudding bubbles up the sides like chocolate lava.

Chocolate Pudding Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tbsps unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsps butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup Hershey's Chocolate Syrup
Ice Cream or Fresh Whipped Cream - Recipe follows

Heat oven to 350 F.  Coat pan with non stick cooking spray

Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and walnuts (if using) in a large bowl.  Stir in milk, butter, vanilla until blended.  Scrape into prepared pan. (How easy is this?)

Whisk together hot water and chocolate syrup in a small bowl.  Pour over cake batter in pan.

Bake for 35 minutes or until cake is set and pudding bubbles up on sides.  You can stick a tooth pick in the cake and it should come out clean except for the pudding on the bottom. Cool cake on a wire rack.  Serve cake warm or at room temperature from pan with whipped cream and/or ice cream.  The taste of a cake with the ease of a quick bread.
Chocolate Pudding Cake with Fresh Whipped Cream
Whipped Cream.

1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tbsps Confectioner's Sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (Minimizes weeping of cream - but not necessary)

In a cold stand mixer bowl combine all ingredients. With whisk attachment whip cream until soft peaks form.

(Plate courtesy of my husband - Christmas present).





No comments:

Post a Comment