Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Asian-Style Orange Chicken

Frozen Orange Juice
Featured Ingredient: Minute Maid Frozen Concentrated Orange Juice

I went out to lunch with my 14 year old son yesterday because his school issued yet another snow day.  He is very low maintenance when it comes to food, as I'm sure most suburban teenagers are.  We went to Red Lobster.  I hadn't been in a long time. I used to go with my mom years ago, so I thought would be be nice to go with my kid.  I pass by this newly refurbished one in Bridgeport, CT all the time and never went in.  I have been really disappointed by the chain restaurants in my area and figured given its location, it would also not meet minimum standards.

I'm glad to say I was pleasantly surprised.  The place was updated inside, very clean, service was well timed and friendly, and the food, for a chain, was good. The meals were reasonably priced for lunch.  The bathroom was also clean and had warm water in the sink. I would definitely go back there again. So ends my review of Bridgeport's Red Lobster.  Like most chain restaurants, it's the luck of the draw.

Later that afternoon my husband and I were brainstorming dinner ideas and he suggested an orange chicken recipe he had, which is very cumbersome and requires a bit of prep work. This lead me to think that a form of orange juice comes in a can... and the rest is history.  This recipe was adapted from one I found yesterday on foodandwine.com. It was originally published in 2003. Goes to show, classics never die.

Asian-Style Orange Chicken - Serves 4.

4 tbsps tamari or soy sauce
2 tbsps brown sugar
4 tbsps orange juice concentrate
2 large garlic cloves minced
2 tsps finely grated orange zest
2 tsps minced fresh ginger
2 tsps kosher salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Four bone-in large split chicken breasts with skin about .85 lb each) - then cut in half crosswise

Preheat oven to 450F

In a medium bowl whisk together all ingredients except chicken. Add chicken and turn to coat.  Pour remaining sauce into a baking dish and transfer chicken skin side up.

Roast chicken in oven about 20 minutes.  Brush with sauce a couple of times during baking.  Turn on broiler and broil chicken until it reaches a carmelized color about 2-4 minutes.  When done chicken should register at 175F (for breasts). Let rest 5 minutes.  Transfer to plates and spoon additional sauce and juices from baking dish over chicken.


Asian-Style Orange Chicken
Serve with Brown Rice and Snap Peas or Chinese Noodles (recipe follows).
This recipe varies by how many noodles you put into the pot.  You can use Chinese Wheat noodles or Linguine. So here is a basic breakdown:

Boil noodles according to package directions to desired tenderness.
Add a few splashes of teriyaki sauce, stir fry sauce and toasted sesame seed oil in about equal parts.  Stir to coat.