|Tomatoes, Black Beans, Chiles|
Mexican Tortilla Casserole
This works perfectly for a 11 X 8 X 2 inch pan.
1 can 15oz Goya Black Beans
4 oz. diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup mild salsa
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4.5 oz can Old El Paso green chiles
2 scallions minced
1 1/2 cup San Marzano crushed tomatoes
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
dash black pepper
6 flour tortillas (fajita size)
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream + some milk
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Coat an 11 x 8 baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a medium size bowl mash beans and salsa with fork or potato masher, until paste like with some texture. Add 1/3 cup jack cheese, chile peppers and scallions. Mix together.
3. Combine crushed tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a pyrex measuring cup (if available)
4. Spoon half of bean mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with three tortillas. Like illustrated below.
Then pour half of the tomato mixture over tortillas. Repeat with remaining bean mixture, tortillas and finish with tomato mixture.
5. Put sour cream in small bowl and thin out with a little milk so it is the consistency of yogurt and easier to spread. Spoon sour cream on top of tomato mixture in dollops and even with back of spoon. Top with mozzarella and remaining monterey jack cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 20 until cheese is melted and begins to brown. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
|Nothing to Throw Out|