Monday, January 3, 2011

Very Vegan Mulligatawny Soup


Vegetable Broth and Coconut Milk
Featured Ingredients: College Inn Vegetable Broth and Taste of Thai Coconut Milk

Now that I'm not working outside the home, there is one thing I miss in particular.. going out for lunch! I used to work in Wilton, CT.  Wilton is a lush affluent suburb about 40 miles from New York City. It has one popular diner, very few delis, and not many affordable restaurants. In downtown Wilton there is a lovely independent food store called Village Market -- to some it's known as Village Mark-up.  It's not the place to go grocery shopping, if you are looking for a bargain, but for lunch it's not too bad.  It has freshly prepared sandwiches, a salad bar, hot soups, and really good single serve baked goods. Before I got to know the area it was my go-to lunch destination as it was just up the street from my job. 

This time of year, it was the best deal around for hot soups.  One of my favorites along with Vegetarian Lentil was Mulligatawny.  I was really unfamiliar with this soup, before I was introduced to it just a couple of years back.  Since Wilton is 15 miles from me, I don't frequent the area much anymore. So it seems my only recourse was to create a version myself. I was pretty proud of the result.  Their soup is more of a pale green, as I believe they use chicken broth and no carrots, whereas mine was rosier orange color as I used vegetable broth and carrots. A fragrant dish with notes of sweet and heat that warms you up on a cold winter's day or night.

Make sure you have a mini electric chopper or food processor on hand to cut down on prep time.

I noticed as I was creating this that I seem to be making my way around the world of cuisine in this blog.  I have recipes representing the flavors of Italy, Thailand, Germany, Greece. So here is my rendition of this Indian inspired dish.  Now all I have to do is master the Lentil Soup.

Mulligatawny Soup

2 tbsps butter
1 cup celery - about 3 hearts finely chopped
1/2 cup onion - about 1 medium size - finely chopped
1 cup carrots - about 3 small - finely chopped or shredded
2 tbsps plain flour
2 tsps curry powder
4 cups vegetable stock
2 small bay leaves
1 cup granny smith apple - shredded
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup coconut milk

1/2 cup cooked basmati rice

1. In a dutch oven, melt butter and sautee onion, celery and carrots until tender (add a dash of salt)
2. Stir in flour and curry powder and cook about 3 minutes
3. Stir in stock , bay leaves, apple, and lemon zest
4. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes
5. Remove from heat and stir in coconut milk
6. Use immersion blender or process soup in batches.

Stir in basmati rice or not and serve.

Mulligatawny Soup with Basmati Rice


No comments:

Post a Comment